Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A New Challenge


(Concept Poster Art for Yardboy by Tadd Galusha. Tagline: “Saving the universe, one backyard at a time.”

Had a post all set to go about the importance of rewriting, but, hell, if you are unaware of said importance, and call yourself a writer, I would just be wasting my time. Besides, I think I covered it all before, so let’s move onto something a bit more fun.

Recently, director Matt Zettell and I decided to pitch a package of three of my screenplays at the AFM in November. Included in the package that will be presented to potential investors are mock-ups of the movie posters/one-sheets. One person came immediately to mind, the extremely talented artist Tadd Galusha. Tadd is currently working on a top-secret project that I have mentioned in earlier posts and is the perfect person for the job. Tadd and I talked about the stories, I sent him loglines and a synopsis for each screenplay and lo and behold, he came back with some awesome concept sketches. Part of the design plan was to come up with snazzy taglines for each poster. Something that would catch the eye of the investor and, much later one, potentially captivate an audience and make them want to see the film. That was my job and I found it to be a bit more difficult than I had imagined. These taglines need to be as short and that proved to be the most difficult part of the process for me. I finally came up with a dozen or so for each poster and sent out a email to friends and piers and asked them what they thought. Friends were glad to help and I eventually ran the winners past Matt and we decided on the three that we were going to use. In the meantime, Tadd sent his concept art of each of the posters and we are well on our way. I am looking forward to seeing the finished art and have already reserved a place on my wall for each poster.

As for actual writing, I am currently putting the finishing touches on the revised libretto for “Wild Space A Go Go.” The plan is not only to enter the original musical comedy in musical festivals but also to secure an agent who can shop it around to the various venues. I am happy to announce that I have completed a workable draft and will be putting the finishing touches on it before I send it off to the creative partners early next week. Hopefully, the new character arcs and shorter length will work. Right now, it’s a bit too soon to tell. I will have to wait until I get some feedback.

So, keep writing and I will talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment